The trusted Okura address in Shanghai for business and leisure guests for 30 years since 1989
The Okura Garden Hotel is ideally situated in Shanghai’s prestigious shopping and business district at the center of the city. Originally the site of the French Club, which was completed in 1926, the 33-story hotel combines contemporary design with the elegance of the former club. With a private 30,000-squaremeter garden, the entire facility radiates a rich culture, while paying homage to the past. The 10 sophisticated function rooms are the perfect settings for meetings, conferences or banquets, the 492 well-equipped guest rooms offer an immediate sense of relaxation, and personalized attention exemplifies the hotel’s five-star rating.
Recognized as a piece of the city’s cultural heritage, the building is protected by the Shanghai government. Looking back on its history offers insight into the valuable memories of the past. Thanks to its origins, it showcases the most popular and fashionable styles from the 1920s and ’30s. The building was used by the U.S. Army and later, an indoor swimming pool was built at the site of the current Cocktail Lounge Oasis in the 1940s.
Over the years, the hotel has welcomed countless official state visitors, distinguished guests and business leaders and gained a reputation as a trustworthy hotel where guests feel welcome and are served with respect and dignity. Hotel employees are well versed in several languages and many speak Japanese and English. The hotel has been a center of the Japanese business community and many Japanese companies were introduced to the art of doing business in China while they stayed in the hotel.
We thank all our guests for their patronage at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai. As we celebrate our 30th anniversary, all of us at Okura are looking forward to welcoming guests for many years to come as we continue to provide them with our Best A.C.S. in China.
THE HISTORY OF THE BUILDING
- 1926: the building was constructed as the French Club.” Le Club Cercle Sportif “
- 1920’s ~ 1930’s: the building was used as the French Club
- 1940’s: the building was used by the U.S. Army and indoor swimming pool was built at the place of current Oasis Cocktail Lounge.
- After the establishment of the P.R. of China in 1949, the building was used as a People’s Culture Palace with the garden as a sports field.
- In 1959: The garden had some changes to match the use for leisurely walks and included the fountain.
- 1960’s and 1970’s: the building was vacant and guarded by the army.
- From the end of 1970’s: the building was renamed as Jing Jiang Club.
- 1985: a renovation project started to create the Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai.
- 1989: the renovation was finished
- 20 March 1990: The Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai officially opened, and the building joined the new tower to incorporate the hotel, lobby, function rooms, business center and Rose Coffee Shop.